Thursday, September 1, 2011

The One with the Revelation.

I realized something the other day, and it was a revelation to me. An epiphany of sorts. Though my husband has been telling me this for years, I've only just now accepted it:

I cannot multitask.

See, in my work life I am incredibly organized. I work effectively and often quickly. I am a fast learner. So, I just assumed I was a great at multitasking.

Not so.

I confused multitasking (doing more than one thing at the same time) with prioritizing (figuring out in which order to do things). So, though I am shite at multitasking, I am stellar at prioritizing.

This new awareness may seem like small potatoes, but I'm telling you it's not. It's like I've been in therapy for years and I've finally hit that moment where all the puzzle pieces of my life have fallen into place and things make sense. Not only do I understand myself better, but I didn't have to pay a cent to a psychologist for it. Win/win!

Now, instead of making that urgent phone call while alternately cooking a batch of pancakes and downing my morning coffee only to dissolve into a pile of frustration because none of those things got done with any sort of accuracy, I will happily prioritize the tasks instead.

Coffee.
Phone call.
Pancakes.

And? I bet I get it all done in less time and with an incredible amount of efficiency. IT'S LIKE I'VE BEEN GIVEN THE GOLDEN KEY, PEOPLE.


No comments:

Post a Comment