Monday, January 10, 2011

The one where we go public

# weeks pregnant: 10
estimated weight: 155
currently: wavering between regular and maternity clothes


With my last pregnancy, we followed the crowd and decided not to tell anyone sans family about the pregnancy until we hit the 12-week mark. Why 12 weeks? It is commonly known (assumed?) that the chance of miscarriage decreases to a very small margin at that gestation. I've been finding statistics recently, however, that support the most significant decrease in miscarriage percentage is much earlier - more like 6 to 7 weeks. The percentage decrease between 7 and 12 weeks is minimal.

No matter. Even if it isn't so, we've gotten tired of keeping the secret, so here it is:

Me = PREGNANT.

Everyone is welcome to be in the know.

I'm happy to report the nausea has all but subsided. The only thing I began doing differently is taking my prenatal vitamin and Unisom/B6 combo after dinner instead of waiting until just before I go to sleep. *shrug* It may just be a coincidence, but I'm going with it. I was happy to find my weight this past week is holding steady at 155, and my OB said all looks kosher and on target with my uterus. Nice.

Next up? Some genetic testing we've opted for. We're going to have a nuchal translucency screening which assesses our chances of the baby having a chromosomal abnormality. With my last pregnancy, we opted for no testing whatsoever. Now that I'm a bit older, we're interested in doing some genetic testing. I realize testing is a hot button topic, and I'm hoping not to open a can of worms by bringing it up. It's simply what's going on.

Our daughter has gone from asking for a baby sister, to insisting she's getting a baby brother, to saying simply, "we don't know if it's a boy or girl yet." We're planning to take her with us to the ultrasound appointment wherein we might find out the baby's sex. My OB said they've never (NEVER!) been wrong in their assessment of gender. Pretty impressive odds, I'd say.

2 comments:

  1. FWIW, Grace knew we were having a girl, even though we insisted that the ultrasound techs not tell us. Haha.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats J! I am so happy for you guys. I don't know why testing should be a hot button topic - I hadn't realized it was one. The good thing with the nuchal is that is not invasive. In the end, you do what works for you but of course I sincerly hope all goes well for you guys.

    ReplyDelete